Sunday, December 2, 2012

ECRAFT CUTTING MACHINE - possibly a very helpful hint

I used my hot pink eCraft cutter last night, first time since I moved.  Took me a few minutes to remember what I was doing, but got the hang of it again quickly.  Thought I'd share with you a couple of things I learned the hard way when I started using it.

I found the best way to get a good cut was to keep the paper from sliding about. Since there is no "sticky mat", I was using the covers off my paper stacks.  I'd just put little peices of tape around the edges to keep the paper in place.   Then I found something at my local "Wallyworld" (as we call it)... they are called flexible cutting mats.  Actually, I think I first bought them as disposible mats for the kitchen. They are "Mainstays" (but you may be able to find others, but look at these first to get an idea), thin, and measure 12" x 15".  I tape at the top and bottom , and insert the 12" side into the machine.  It keeps the paper from moving around, and you can look at the mat to see how deep you are cutting, making it easier to adjust.




I don't know if this will work with other machines, but it has been a blessing with the eCraft cutter. You can reuse them many times.  After they get pretty cut up, I use them as glue mats (because, as you may know, I'm a VERY messy gluer!).

Another thing I do, if you are having trouble, is I always insert from the front.  I feel I have better control, and I just couldn't get it to work right feeding from the tray.

AND ... if you just got your machine and can't find the tools and extra cutting blades, eCraft has  cleverly (maybe too cleverly) hidden the sliding compartment at the back of the machine.  Look behind where the read-out screen is (at least on my model). 

I hope this helps somebody!  Happy cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! They really make my day.